Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Doctor's Note

Doctor’s Note

                On May 16, 2008, I drove from my new apartment in Silverlake to Venice Beach.  I had seen an ad in the L.A. Weekly for a medical marijuana clinic that welcomed walk-in appointments.  They had listed the price at $75 for a prescription. 
                The first time I got a prescription, I had to jump through all sorts of hoops.  First of all, I needed a California State ID.  I went to the DMV and just when I was about to get my picture taken, one of the tellers determined that my passport was not suitable for identification purposes, because the little plastic sheet over the picture had become unstuck (because I had foolishly sent it to the dry-cleaner in the inside pocket of my jacket).  This meant I would need a birth certificate, so I went online and ordered mine for about $50 or so and waited about a week and a half, or two, for it to come in the mail.  Finally it arrived, I went back to the DMV, I got my picture taken, and then they told me that I wouldn’t be able to get my actual card for another two weeks.  But they gave me a receipt that the ID had been instated. 
                This all after I had already met with Dr. Sonia Patel, who had given me a preliminary three-month prescription for my chronic back pain, insomnia, and anxiety, to be upgraded to a one-year clearance after examination with another doctor.  I had her note, but I needed my ID card.  That day I went to the Farmacy in West Hollywood with my DMV receipt and doctor’s note, and they said that would do just fine.  Thus I was allowed to get weed without going to a dealer, which was both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing because it was perfectly legal, and a curse because it was pretty much always available for me to blow large amounts of cash on.
                But after three months my prescription ran out because I never had gotten around to getting that second opinion from a more probing general physician.  By that point I was living in Palms with my new roommate Brett who always picked up more pot than he needed and always sold me some, so I relied on this method for a while, until I moved into my own place, which was the killing gesture.
                I had been living in my own place for about two and a half weeks.  I had been surviving off of the last stash I had bought from Brett, and now I needed to take care of things on my own.  First, Brett told me to go to his doctor—Dr. Cohen. When I called Dr. Cohen he sounded very flustered.  I knew he wouldn’t make things difficult for me, but then he told me he had raised his price from $150 to $250.  I stupidly told him I would pay that exorbitant amount.  I made an appointment with him only for him to cancel it because of his own back pain.  We rescheduled for a new day and I drove to his office building in Beverly Hills and waited for him to arrive and about ten minutes after our scheduled time he called me to say he had been in a car accident, and would only be a few more minutes if it weren’t for the lady he had gotten into it with, who wanted to call the police.  I told him that was fine, and rescheduled for yet another time.
                I told my friend Sycamore about this and he told me this guy did not sound very reliable and that I should just be concerned about it because if he happened to lose his license, then I would be out of luck for my prescription, not to mention with the exorbitant fee already paid to him.  So I went to the pages of L.A. Weekly and decided a walk-in appointment for $75 sounded pretty great.
                It was right across the boardwalk from Muscle Beach—the outdoor gym where I barely ever saw anyone working out.  I walked up the stairs and signed in at the desk.  The security guard was making small talk with everyone waiting.  I wrote in my little orange notebook a list of things to do.  Among them were: buy invitations, find Ashleigh’s info, buy a house phone (which could be put off), get a new cell phone (which could be put off), return L.A. Story to the library, measure space in apartment for bar table, futon, find rug to go on top of carpet, get a bathroom storage thingy, do a practice LSAT on Monday, see Mike Toumayan on Sunday at 2:00, complete the 18th and 19th chapters of S/M.  The security guard asked me what I was doing and I told him I was writing in my journal and he told me a story about how he had found someone’s journal left on a bus before.  The TV in the waiting room was playing a hip-hop video countdown.  One of the assistants came up to tell the guy at the front desk that there was a guy on the boardwalk taking pictures of the front of their building and it appeared suspicious.  Two Latinos without shirts tried to sign in for an appointment and were turned away until they could find shirts to wear.  The wait was not very long.  They took my picture before they sent me into the doctor’s room.  They also asked for $150 for the recommendation fee—double the advertisement, but still much better than the alternative.

                I met Dr. Weinman, who was very friendly and nice and concerned.  He got a cup of coffee before we started the interview and said that it was his alternative to pot, which he had used to smoke but no longer did.  I told him about how I was going to take the LSAT and he told me to take a few weeks off of smoking before I did that—six weeks, he said.  I told him I wanted the prescription for social anxiety and depression and he said that would be okay.  He said in the case of depression, he wouldn’t recommend it.  He would recommend seeing a therapist.  He said he would recommend it for anxiety, however.  Then he asked me about how I smoked it and I told him through a bong and he explained to me the benefits of a vaporizer.  He was a very benevolent man, perhaps one of the few people I met in that entire year that did not cause me any fear or stress, perhaps the only person who truly seemed to be looking out for my well-being.  He gave the prescription and I was allowed to go into their on-site dispensary and I picked out a gram because I said that money was tight at the moment.  I drove home on an ecstatic wave, happy that now, I had my license to smoke, I had nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment