Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Silverlake Era: Part Two--Laura

The Silverlake Era: Part Two—Laura

                Laura was the best thing to happen to me in L.A.  Ashleigh would have been the best thing, but we never saw each other outside of that office.  Laura and I only saw each other outside of a professional environment, but we were only meant to be friends, and I did not want to be like every other guy in the world, who begin intimating their sexual desires the second they meet an attractive and interesting girl that they would like to date.  I am never good at doing that sort of thing.  It is a curse.  But this is not the place for complaining—this is a place for praising.  And Laura deserves heavy praise.
                She was a friend of my friend Liz in New York.  She had gone to UMASS-Amherst.  I had known one other person from that school many years before, and that person had left a sour taste in my mouth, but Laura resurrected the reputation of that school through her magnanimous behavior.  Liz had e-mailed the both of us one day with the subject heading “Be Friends!” and so Laura and I had begun e-mailing each other, planning a first activity in which we would meet.  She added me as a friend on Facebook.  We finally settled on seeing the Fiery Furnaces play a show at Spaceland, a music venue roughly one mile from my apartment.  I had stopped at the venue the night before and asked a guy at the door what time I should show up if we wanted to get tickets.  He said to come at 8:00.  He said it was going to be a very popular show.  So I e-mailed her and intimated these details, and the next night, I waited outside the venue around 8:00 for her to show up.  No one else was there. 
                I received a phone call from Alberto, the maintenance man from my apartment management company, who was going to come to my apartment to install a combination countertop and refrigerator cover.  If that sounds like a weird piece of kitchen accessory, that’s because it is.  That little countertop was the only surface I had in my “kitchenette.”  In any case, as I was talking to Alberto, a girl came up to me, and I immediately saw she was quite beautiful.  I hung up, apologized to her, and was introduced to Laura.  It very much had the feel of a blind date.  We decided to go back to my apartment to have a drink since no one else was at the show yet.  We walked there, learned a few things about each other, and had a drink of whiskey and coke each.  We may have even had a second.  I think I played some Fiery Furnaces on my iPod.  Then I took out one of the pre-rolled joints I had gotten from a dispensary just off where Sunset and Hollywood Blvd split into two separate avenues, just pass the Sunset/Silverlake Junction.  Oh!  Just mentioning the name makes me nostalgic, and makes me wish I were there now, as I look out my window and see the worst blizzard of the 2008-2009 winter season in Chicago.  Just so you know, this is now January 10, and it has been quite a while since I have attempted to close out my NaNoWriMo project.  This will be my 4th book once completed.  After Daylight Savings, the collection of short stories that I made for Ashleigh, and Self-Mutilation.  All three are better than that first one, but it is hard for me to say which is best.  I have an idea for my next project, book #5, but people always tell me I should revise what I truly care about and get that published, rather than push forward with new work.  As I begin to prepare for the law school application season once more, these anxieties in regards to publishing and giving up my writing life entirely begin to weigh heavily on my brain.
                We smoked that pre-rolled joint and Laura told me that she used to smoke quite a bit.  She told me a story about how she used to smoke by herself, at her apartment at 7th St. and Ave C.  When she mentioned that corner I told her I had another friend that lived at that same one and was struck by the coincidence.  She said she used to be able to see a guy across the street, and so if she could see him he must be able to see her, and that he must have seen she was smoking, and so she would get very paranoid whenever she would smoke by herself, and she had not done it as much after that experience.  But she still did it every once and a while, which ended up being about half the time we would hang out.  That night, she had to stretch afterwards, before we walked back to the venue.  She had described herself as feeling like she was melting inside of her body, or that her bones were dissolving.  I found it very funny.  I remember walking down Sunset, taking the turn at Silverlake Blvd to head towards the venue, and seeing her face illuminated by a streetlight, and realizing that she was one of the most beautiful girls I had ever been fortunate enough to be with alone.  I always feel like I get a bad rap with girls and so I don’t even get the opportunity to be with them alone.  If only they knew, and now Laura would know, and I felt very happy at the moment that I had met someone who might be able to regard me on my own terms.
                Though there was nothing for me to proud of at that moment.  I was unemployed.  I had thrown a party a week earlier in which no one had showed up, in which two people had showed up out of pity for me—though I was assured that it had to do with L.A. and the negative effects of rain more than my personal shortcomings.  I had very little money left.  Or I still had money, but I could see the end of my bank account coming.  My prospects were dim.  It was hard for me to appear confident and attractive.  This is still my problem some six or seven months later, now as I barely begin to scrape together a negligible amount of savings again, and always growing older, always stretching further away from periods of personal and romantic luck.
                We watched the opening bands, had a drink, went into the “fishbowl” with another bar where you were allowed to smoke, where we spent the interim after the first opening band and the first half of the second band’s opening set.  Laura had very good taste in music and spoke very well about her passions.  She smoked cigarettes as frequently as me, if not more so, and this gave me great comfort.  While it is an unhealthy practice, when you meet someone that shares one of your illogical foibles, there is an even greater feeling of oneness and destiny.  She smoked in her car as much as I did.  She was very healthy in all other regards besides this.  She was very intelligent and reasonable in every other respect.  We watched the Fiery Furnaces set and she enjoyed it enough.  We walked back to her car and said good-bye and that we would make plans again soon in the future.
                The next time, I invited her over to Sycamore and Molly’s apartment to go swimming on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  She picked me up in her car, which smelled of smoke, which she apologized for, but which I was very leisurely allowed to smoke in myself, and we made it to the Hollywood Hills, and we went by the poolside and I introduced her to Sycamore and Molly, and then to Erin and Nathaniel as they arrived later.  We sat beside each other on lounge chairs and I hoped that I struck her as attractive in my half-naked state.  But she was not very talkative and I was not very talkative.  I was not sure how to present her in this scenario to these four friends, probably my only real four friends in L.A., as another friend or as a romantic interest.  Erin had talked to her for a while and it carried with it a sense of encouragement and friendliness conducive towards converting friends from other circles into one’s own circle.  Oddly enough, it was the first time in my life I felt like I was witnessing that process before my very eyes.  Laura and I left after not too long—she had things she needed to do—and she drove me home, and we passed a park that was staging some classic theater, and were planning to do Doctor Faustus and I asked her if she might be interested in going, and she said yes.  I told her about how I had never read the original Christopher Marlowe, or the Goethe, but I had read the Thomas Mann version and found it excellent.  At this point she swooned, saying she loved Thomas Mann, loved Death in Venice, and so became the first person I met to share my same affection for that masterpiece, and thus became even more deeply confirmed in my heart.  She told me the film version was excellent.
                Another time, we went to go see These New Puritans, a band whose debut album I had just bought.  I was interested in them at first because their name appeared to be a reference to a Fall song.  I wasn’t sure if Laura would go for them, but we saw the show at Echoplex, and that is a very cool venue.  We went outside to have a smoke, and as we sat together I was once again struck by the notion that she seemed like a girlfriend to me.  How many guys were there at the show with one girl who was not their girlfriend?  This was also the night that I mentioned the situation with Ashleigh to her, and she became interested in the way girls always become piqued whenever I start talking about other girls.  After the show, she told me how much she had enjoyed it, which made me really happy that I hadn’t wasted her time.  Their singer had worn a chain mail type of vest onstage and she had told me that I should get something like that.  It was very funny.  At the end of the night we hugged in a way.  We had hugged every night, and it was always awkward in vaguely the same way, though after the routine of it became slightly less awkward.  But it had still carried a sense of awkwardness, as if she did not want to lead me on in any way, or as if she were afraid that I might try to kiss her and she would have to find the proper way to respond to that.  At this point, there was no question I was smitten, but I don’t know if she could tell or not.
                One other time, I went over to her house to play Yahtzee, which she taught me how to play.  I met her roommate Laela, who was very nice and smoked roughly the same amount of pot I did.  We played Yahtzee for a couple hours on their front porch in Los Feliz.  It was my first time going to her apartment  and I was struck by how close she lived to me.  She lived not far from the Vista Theater, which was not far from the Sunset/Silverlake Junction.  I had many arguments with her where I told her she really lived in Silverlake, not Los Feliz, and she claimed that I was the wrong one.  We played, and we had some experimentally concocted mojitos.  Laela had brought her bong out on the porch and we had smoke a few bowls.  I took out another free pre-rolled joint I had received from that same dispensary, and we also had that.  We listened to music, and I was struck by the fact that Laura like Panda Bear.  Everybody liked that Panda Bear album anyways, but it was comforting to have yet one more thing in common.  She also loved New Order, perhaps more than me.  And she also played this experimental bit of music by this performance artist who screamed.  And not in the way Yoko Ono would scream on record, but in a way like it sounded like one of your Latino neighbors in L.A. down the street was yelling at her children for something.  It was hilarious as at first I couldn’t tell if it was from the record or was really on the street.  We had a good laugh, and I left her with a bunch of CDs she could burn from me. 
                She came to my apartment to return the CDs the night of the All-Star game, and that was the last time I saw her.  She came for just a few minutes.  She had stayed very late at work that day, until 9:00 or so.  I was astounded.  She was in fashion and described herself as a workaholic.  I asked her if she wanted to come in, and she said she would just have a smoke on my porch.  So she did that, and I don’t even know if I smoked, but at that point I looked at her with amazement, totally impressed.  She told me she was going to New York for business, and I told her that if she saw Liz, she should say hi for me.  She said she would and again we said goodbye.  At this point, I was very close to starting my next job, and very close to realizing that I wouldn’t be able to make it on my own there anymore, and so would become increasingly less confident about my appearance in the real world. 

                At the end of it all, I sent her an e-mail telling her I had to leave L.A. and she wrote back something very touching.  I said I wanted to see her one last time, but she said she was in Las Vegas for a fashion convention.  This was around August 26, 2008 or so.  I would be going through Las Vegas on my first day of driving en route to Cedar City, UT, and I thought briefly of calling her and asking her if I could stay overnight in Vegas with her, at her hotel room.  At the end I thought it presumptuous, but as I drove through Vegas, in a very bad traffic jam due to an overturned semi-truck that had blocked all lanes of traffic except for one, I wanted to cry for feeling like I would never see her again.  I could have called her, but I didn’t, and it is little things like that make me hate myself more than I already do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment