Thursday, November 6, 2014

Palms Era

Palms Era

                From November 1, 2007 through May 1, 2008, I lived in Palms with Brett.  For the most part, it was a period of promise and relative harmony.  It started off with the debacle of the arrest at Disneyland, and quickly turned more positive from that point forward.  Brett wanted to make it up to me, so the next night they held a “Disney at Night” event, he bought tickets again, and we went , and we had a pretty good time.  He also took me to see I am Legend at an IMAX theater, which was the first time I saw a feature film in IMAX, and it was very cool.  He also took me to see Cloverfield, which I was not all that excited to see but which I considered an above-average popcorn flick. 
                My prescription ran out in January of 2008, only being good for three months due to the sketchy nature of my verification, and Brett provided me with all of the herbals I desired from January through May.  This even while he was forced not to smoke due to court orders that he attend Narcotics Anonymous and paranoid fears that he would be tested, which he eventually overcame. 
                The above two paragraphs describe the vast majority of the things we did together, and much of our time inside that apartment was spent apart, with minimal speaking.  I liked it that way and he didn’t seem to crave socialization, so it worked out well, except for a couple minor details involving music which would eventually compel me to believe that I could live a happier existence on my own.  But that was much later. 
                The whole time I lived there, I worked at Jefferies, and Jefferies was very close.  It was a dream of a commute for L.A., another reason I regret changing my housing arrangements.  It took five minutes to get from my house to my office.  Straight down Rose Ave., right on Sepulveda, pass Pico, pass Olympic, building at the corner of Santa Monica—an absolute dream for a city where the biggest issue is unanimously agreed to be the traffic congestion.  I did not however have a parking spot in our building, and this became an issue for me as well, as sometimes there would be frustrating five or ten minute walks just to get to my car, not to mention nervousness about its protection on the street.
                Though my car did get keyed while it was in L.A.  I parked it one night in Culver City, to go to the head shop called Nirvana that Brett had told me to go to—I had broken the female piece of the Ghost and needed a replacement—and I found one there with almost no problem.  When I came back there were long key scratches along both sides of the car.  Why anybody did this to me I can’t imagine.  Sometimes I feel like it was punishment for past anonymous transgressions I’ve committed that no one else knows about and so I will never know who keyed my car in the same anonymous way.  Other times I feel it was someone that found my New York University bumper sticker ostentatious and therefore had to cut me down to size.  Lastly I feel as if it may have been someone who was just random and insane.  Needless to say, it upset me greatly, but fortunately it was covered by the comprehensive aspect of my car insurance and so the vandalism was repaired with $0 deductible.
                For the six months I lived with Brett, I did not worry as much about my personal financial situation, but more about my total life situation.  It was a great time to “get my act together” but in the process of doing that, I made some terrible decisions and I ended up two steps behind where I started when I had first moved to that apartment. 
                New Year’s Eve was notable.  And so is Kenny.  Of all the people I met in L.A., he came the closest to personifying the type of success I pined for in moving there.  He had grown up there, in Eagle Rock, and had actually been at school in New York for a while.  He was a couple years younger than me.  I met him first, and knew him, as a friend of Molly’s, first meeting him at the studio in Venice Beach, playing Metroid on the Wii console he was lending them, him giving me patient direction though I lacked every conceivable skill appropriate to the game.  Later he would tell me that he had met Vincent Gallo and Eric Erlandson at the improv jam session concert tour they played around the country, ending in L.A.  I told him I had read about those shows and vaguely considered going.  I think Hole is kind of cool despite the huge amount of hate they receive.  I also saw Buffalo 66 and The Brown Bunny and vaguely liked both, though Kenny had seen neither.  Apparently he helped the duo with some of their technologically-advanced computer audio resources when they ran into problems before starting the show.  He talked to them enough to say he was now friends with Vincent Gallo, and was invited to his condo, which was in a building downtown.  Perhaps Kenny was star-struck, but he ended up renting in the same building and he had a very nice loft that was something like $1600 a month, perfect for someone like him, enjoying a budding, successful, career in the arts.  I wanted to latch onto him any way I could, but there was no way I could appear useful to him.  Everyone in L.A. writes.  There are more writers than there are actors, or photography models.  If he had asked me to pose for him I would have but he was always commissioned by other people.  He did work for the L.A. Times.  He had a housewarming party at his loft and there were maybe ten people there.  He showed some weird French movie projected onto his wall.  There was an older photographer/artist friend there who was probably in his fifties and who smoked a couple bowls by the window.  In the end it was a fun party, but it was sparsely attended.  I was hoping to meet Vincent Gallo but I did not. 
                But before he moved into his downtown loft, Kenny was one of the few others to join me at Sycamore and Molly’s new apartment in the Hollywood Hills.  At the end of the night, I drove home drunker than I probably ever did in L.A., and apparently Kenny fell down and opened up a gash in his head, and got into his car, and passed out, and woke up in the morning and drove himself to the emergency room.  I remember that being crazy.
                But mostly New Year’s Eve was one of the best nights I had in L.A.  We just drank a lot, everyone was in a good mood, we sat around for a while near the end of the night listening to Panda Bear, we went outside on their terrace and watched fireworks in six different directions get fired off at midnight.  I don’t remember much of anything else but I know I was pretty wasted and had lot of fun. 
                Oh there was also the girl Catherine, who had taken the studio in Venice Beach as the new tenant so Sycamore and Molly could move to Hollywood.  She was a co-worker of Molly’s.  She brought all of her stuff with her that night and planned to sleep over on their pull-out couch due to planned drunkenness.  At a certain point Molly’s friend Sarah and her friend Cara were calling to say they were going to be there soon, but they had smoked weed at Cara’s apartment and had gotten extremely panicked and anxious.  Catherine thought this was massively intriguing.  When they finally showed up, and as we had a drink on the terrace around midnight, she confronted them about their evening’s prior entertainment, for whatever reason I don’t know.  It was somewhat awkward.  It was almost as if she was scolding them for smoking, but then was also envious because she really wanted to smoke and hadn’t been able to experiment with it enough before.  It was confusing. 
                But Palms had been relatively close to Venice Beach, so it hadn’t been too bad to go visit them there.  The drive to Hollywood was a bit more of a commitment.  My usual jogging pattern would be to take a right onto Overland, go down a few blocks to Venice Blvd., and take that the four miles or so down to the beach.  It was great and a very hardcore work out, usually taking me between 90 and 120 minutes.  About a month ago I suffered from hematuria for the first time and now I would be scared to go out for that long, but I never had any health issues in California.  I like to say that it was the healthiest period of my life.  I was in excellent physical condition, and in an excellent place mentally, despite smoking pot far too often.
                I loved working at Jefferies.  Jeremiah was a great partner.  He was 21 or 22 years old, I can’t remember which exactly, had a serious girlfriend, lived with his family in K-Town and moved into his own $500 a month room in a boarding house with his girlfriend while I was working with him.  Perhaps I compelled him to move out on his own.  He still had to pay about $300 or $400 a month to help his parents pay their rent.  I remember that being especially impressive to me.  I marveled at the fact.  If I had to help my parent’s pay their mortgage, I would have a very different attitude towards being alive.  Being that sort of benefactor may be something of a curse, but it can also be a blessing.  You know that you matter. 
                I will also never forget Warren and Oneyda, Linda and Ben, Giorgio, Adam, Maria, Tommy, Jon, Genie and Maxine (who seemed to be nearing retirement age but were loaded), Steven, Fred, Anthony—and probably a few others—Mario, the doorman—Adir and Raoul, the mail room guys, the latter of which told me I hated life and was the closest to getting into a fight with me one day when I made a snide comment about why he needed to talk and shout so loudly—it was very intimidating when he obviously had heard me say something and confronted me and was like, “I’m sorry, did you have a problem?” in this overly polite tone of voice, as if he wanted to make sure he was being professional but still wanting to scare me a little, and he probably had the right, since I think he had worked there longer than almost everyone else. 
                On my birthday they gave me a cake there.  Everyone was nice to me.  Maria gave me a hug.  She was my boss.  She knew I was leaving at the beginning of May and she said she was so sad about it.  I wish I had never left.  My life in L.A. might have turned out slightly differently. 
                I had my amp sent over and plugged my guitar in and played as quietly as I could muster, and Brett still knocked on my door and said that it was too loud.  Everything was too loud.  I was in a band with Sycamore and Molly, and her co-worker Spencer.  We were called Cinnamonster.  I would be the singer but after our one practice I knew I needed to bring more to the table so I tried to get better at guitar, to no avail.  I thought getting my own apartment would help me develop the motivation to become adept at the instrument.

                There had to have been more that happened there, but really, there wasn’t.  Those six months fell into a highly regular pattern, as does the rest of my life whenever I am holding down a job.  In Palms, it was: wake up at 5:45 or 6 every morning, shower, brush teeth, shave every other day, sit down Indian-style next to me bed and put on music very quietly and smoke a bowl, leave the apartment by 6:45 AM, drive to work, take cigarette break in morning, after lunch, and in afternoon, leave at 4, or 5, sometimes, make overtime hours everyday, go home, smoke again, go running once every three or four days, if not run, work on second novel, see Ashleigh at Beverly Hills Dermatology every other Wednesday, make myself a bag lunch for the next day of work, make provisions for dinner, watch DirecTV, go to sleep between 9 and 10 or so, repeat five days a week, work whenever necessary on Saturday, pull down between $1800 and $2000 a month at least, visit Sycamore and Molly every weekend or every other weekend, or whenever, go to Amoeba Music whenever bored and wanting to buy something to make myself happy, go to the movies by myself occasionally, make short, intermittent small talk with Brett whenever I happened to see him  in the kitchen or living room, live a generally peaceful and generally lonely existence.  After six months of it I had gotten impatient and needed a change.  The day after my 25th birthday I made that change, and a tube opened up, and I slid down it, and though the ride has evened out a little, it continues to this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment