Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Hike on Mt. Wilson

 The Hike on Mt. Wilson
               
Almost exactly five months ago today, on May 5, 2008 (today being the milestone date of November 4th), I went on a hike with Sycamore and Molly, and a large group of co-workers and friends of co-workers from her workplace, the Natural Resources Defense Council, a.k.a. NRDC, a.k.a. Nerdic.  Some of these people included Erin and Nathaniel whom I considered two amongst my very few friends in Los Angeles, Bart, an outdoor enthusiast and trailblazer, Jessica, a co-worker at NRDC who was very cute and who I would meet out one night a couple months later and not recognize, and Margaret, another co-worker at NRDC who I briefly had a crush on after first meeting her in late 2007 until I realized I was most assuredly not her type. 
                I drove with Sycamore and Molly and Margaret in Molly’s parents Toyota Prius, which they would borrow on again and off again and which was a great treat to them, getting significantly better mileage than their usual vehicle, an occasionally unreliable Subaru Outback.  We drove through the San Gabriel Valley, where Margaret had grown up.  We drove for about an hour and a half.  We got lost along the way a little bit.  Eventually we met up with everyone at an outdoor supplies store.  There was another group of people that none of us had met before, and after we left from this initial meet-up spot, to continue on to the hiking launch point, we saw them stopped on the side of the road.  They had pulled over and everyone in our car was very confused by their apparent inability to follow instructions.  We laughed, thinking they had no idea what they were doing.  We could hardly consider that they had their own reasons.  Eventually they met up at the launch point not much later than anyone else.
                We began the hike.  I did not realize it was going to be about ten miles and it was going to take us about eight hours.  We had somewhere between fifteen and twenty people in tow.  Most of them environmentalists, many of them vegan or vegetarian, and the majority of them seemingly happy, healthy individuals.  I reached for a cigarette and everyone started berating me. 
                “You’re going to start a fire!” they said.
                When I finished it, I was careful to put it out safely and calmly, making sure that no embers caused larger flames.  I buried it in a sandy part.  Behind me, Molly unburied it and started carrying it, to throw it away at the end of the hike.  I told her she was ridiculous and I put it inside a plastic bag inside a backpack pocket.  I argued with her and her co-workers about how forcing everybody to follow such a strict code was impossible, there were still people in nowhere towns in middle America that would never recycle no matter how much you convinced them it was essential to our survival, and how people would still always litter, etc.  I called them Nazis.  I was probably a bit out of line, and now I consider myself something of an “environmentally conscious” person—after I did some work for NRDC myself—and I deeply regret how poorly I failed to adjust.
I talked with Sycamore for a while and probably complained about feeling like none of these people would accept me, that I was one of the few odd persons out.  I don’t know what I must have talked about.  At some points during a hike, you may find yourself running at the mouth for a while.  You are just walking, climbing, heading down a pre-determined path, in search of natural beauty, or a scenic overlook.  You push forward and you talk about random things, but I must have had a rather negative bent because the two people I considered my closest friends on this hike had seemed to grow tired of me.
                “You know, it’s really easy to shit on everything,” Sycamore had said to me. 
                I didn’t know exactly what he meant by that, but it sounded like he was just exasperated with my negativity.  Later we had lunch, and Sycamore climbed a tree in the area, and I told him it would be awful if he fell because we still had several hours of hiking left and it would not be easy to carry on in an injured state.  After lunch, I think I had another cigarette, far away from everyone and no one seemed to notice or care.  Then we continued hiking some more, and as I recall this period was relatively free of peril.  Then we came to an impasse.  We could either continue the hike, up to the top of Strawberry Peak, or we could turn back and wait at the car for everyone else to leave.  I would have just as well gone home at that point, but Sycamore and Molly wanted to go to the top and I figured, it was wait and do nothing at the car, or it was go on, get some more exercise (even though we had probably done well enough for ourselves already), and see some height-enhanced beauty.
                Well, my complaints took on an even more absurd form at this point, as Molly began to grow tired and they began to fall back from the pack.  I caught up to Margaret and Bart and told them that I think I had offended Sycamore and Molly, that I had crossed the line somewhere.  I told them they were going too slow anyways, and the only reason I was going up was because they wanted to, at which point they probably wished they had never invited me to come along.  Well, Bart, Margaret and I made it to the peak, and we waited for Sycamore and Molly to join us.  After about ten more minutes they did, and I was so happy to finally start our final descent.  I lit another cigarette in celebration and this exasperated everyone.  At one point Molly started saying something about how I didn’t care about anything.
                “I care, I care!” I said.
                “No, you don’t!” she insisted, finally sounding as if she had reached the end of her rope.  It took us awhile but we finally met up with everyone else about forty-five minutes later, and I was able to throw out my three cigarettes in a garbage can.  Erin and Nathaniel had wanted us to follow them in our car and meet us at a place for root beer or something and we did, and we found the place was closed.  We rode with Margaret for a while and she talked about wanting to read William Faulkner.  One thing she and Molly had talked about that day was how they were the only two members of the LOVE club: Left-handed, Only child, Vegan, Environmentalist.  I don’t know why this pissed me off so much—maybe because I was left-handed but none of the other three and I felt left out. 
We got back to the supply store and Margaret switched cars to go back to Santa Monica and it was just me and Sycamore and Molly to go back to Silverlake, for me, and Hollywood, for them.  We didn’t say anything for the rest of the ride.  Finally, after we made the final turn for the street, I had to make my apology.
“I just wanted to say, if I upset you with anything I said today, I hope you can forgive me.”
They didn’t say anything and I got out of their car and they drove home.  I didn’t hear back from them until May 23rd, when they were the only people to show up to my housewarming party.

That night I was excited because I was going to drink a bottle of wine and read the Dennis Cooper novel Try—the same manner in which I had read it some four and a half years earlier, in Paris.  The experience was not disappointing.  A couple weeks later I would send out the invites to my housewarming party.  I sent an e-mail to Nathaniel asking him if Sycamore and Molly had ex-communicated me.  He said he didn’t know anything about it—maybe they just needed some temporary space.  He said that Bart had said we probably shouldn’t have climbed to the peak for the sake of all of our sanities.  I had been very bitter for a few days, that they had told me I should move to California only for them to turn their backs on me, and I had started work on a novel with the theme being all of my closest friends eventually betraying me.  I was very happy when they proved me wrong and things went back to normal.  Still, I feel now that I had been a child who had been given a “time out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment